(This great stotra comes as a prelude to the great Devi Mahatmyam. It can also be chanted separately)
1. Markandeya Uvacha: -
Yath guhyam paramam loke sarva rakshakaram nrunam,
Yanna kasya Chidagyatham, thanme bruhi pithamaha.
Oh Lord Brahma (Grand father of all) Please teach me that which is secret to all the world, which is great, which gives complete protection, and which has not been told to any one.
2. Brahmo Uvacha:-
Asthi guhya thamam vipra, Sarva bhoothopakaarakam,
Devyasthu kavacham punyam tachrunushwa maha mune.
Hey great sage, There is a very secret Devi Kavacha (Armour of Goddess, which is useful to all animals and which has not been told to any one.
3. Pradhamam Sailaputhreethi, dwitheeyam Brahma Charini,
Treetheeyam Chadra Gandethi Koosmandethi Chathurthakam.
4. Panchamam Skanda Matheti shashtam Kathyayaneethi cha.
Sapthamam Kala Rathreethi Maha Goureethi Chasthamam.
5. Navamam Sidhitha proktha Nava Durga prakeerthitha,
Ukthanyethani naamani Brahmanaiva Maahaathmana.
I have with extreme happiness sung the fame of the nine mothers, Sailaputhri(The daughter of Himalayas), Brahmacharini(She who leads you to salvation), Chandra Ganda(she who hangs the crescent in her bell), Kooshmanda(She who eats away the earth with its pain and sorrow), Skandamatha(Mother of Lord Subrahmanya), Kathyayani(She who was born in the hermitage of Sage Kathyayana), Kala Rathri(She who is the end of God of death), Mahagouri(The pure white Goddess) and Sidhitha(She who gives Salvation. The great God has told these in the Vedas.
6. Agnina dahyamanasthu Sathru madhye Gatho rane,
Vishame durgame Chaiva bhayartha saranam Gatha,
7. Na Thesham jayathe kinchid asubham rana sankate,
Naapadam thasya pasyami soka dukha bhayam nahi.
He who remember these nine mothers will not suffer even if he is burnt in fire, even if he has gone to war, even if he is very sad, even if he is terribly afraid of war.
8. Yaisthu bhakthya smrutha noonam teshamrudhi prajayathe.
Any one who remembers those names with devotion is also are free of these fears and sorrows.
Pretha Samstha thu Chamunda varahi Mahishasna,
9. Indri Gaja Samaruda Vaishnavi Garudasana,
Maheswari vrushabarooda Kaumari Shikhi vahana,
10. Brahmi hamsa samarooda sarvabharana Bhooshitha,
Nanabharana Shobhadya Nano rathnopa Shobitha,
11. Drusyanthe Radhamarooda Devya Kopa Samanvitha.
Kali rides on corpses, Varahi rides on Garuda, Maheswari on bull, Kaumari on Peacock, Brahmi on a swan and all of them wear different types of ornaments and have different types of luster, wear different type of gems and are seen on the charriots with very angry faces.
(This is the description of the seven holy mothers)
Samkham Chakram, Gadham, Shakthim, Halancha, musalayudham,
12. Gedagam, thomaram chaiva parasum pasameva cha,
Kunthayudham, trishoolan cha Sarngayudhamuthamam,
13. Daithyanam deha nasaya bakthanam abhayaya cha,
Darayanthyudhanetham devanamcha hithaya vai.
They hold in their hands conch, mace, spear, plough, shield, tall spear, axe, trident, strong bow made of horns so that they can kill asuras, bless devotees and for the good of devas.
14. Mahabale, mahothsahe, Maha bhaya vinasini,
Trahi maam dushprekshya, Sathrunam Bhaya vardhini.
Hey strong Goddess, Hey enthusiastic Goddess, Hey goddess who removes fear of death, Hey Goddess who is extremely impossible to see and Hey Goddess, who increases the fear of your enemies, please protect us.
15. Prachyam Rakshathi mamaindri, agneyam agni devatha,
Dakshine raksha Vaarahi, Nairythyam thwam Gadga Dharinim.
Let Indrani (Power of Indra) protect me in the east, Agni
(Female power of fire God, in the southeast, varahi (the power of varaha)
16. Pradeechyam varuni Rakshed vayavyam Mruga Vahini,
Raksed udecchyam Kaumari and easanyam Soola Dharini.
Let the power of Varuna (God of rain) protect me in the west, the power of wind, in the northwest, Kaumari (the power of Lord Subrahmanya) in the north and Maheswari (The power of Lord Shiva) in the Northeast.
17. Urdhwam Brahmani mey rakshed adhsthad vaishnavi Thadha,
Evam dasa disa Rakshe Chamunda Sava Vahana.
Let Brahmani (Power of Lord Brahma) protect me at the top, let Vaishnavi (Power of Vishnu) protect me below and let Chamunda who sits on a seat of Corpse thus protect me on all the ten sides.
18. Jayame Chagradha sthadhu, vijaya sthadu Prushtatha,
Ajitha vama parswe sthu Dakshine chaparajitha.
Let Jaya (She who is Victory) stand before me, let Vijaya (She who is always victorious) stand behind me, let Ajitha (She who cannot be won) stand to my left and Aparjitha (She who has never been defeated) stand on my right.
19. Shikhamudhyothini rakshedhuma moordhni vyavasthidha,
Maladhari lalate cha brovow rakshed yasawini.
Let Udhyothini (She who is ever prepared) protect my hair, Uma (goddess Parvathy) my head, Maladhari (She who wears a garland) my forehead and Yasawini (She who is famous) my eye brows.
20. Trinethra cha bruvor madhye yamaganda cha Nasike,
Sankhini chakshshor madhye, srothrayor vindhya vasini.
21. Kapalow kalika rakshed, kana moole thu sankari,
Nasikayam sugandha cha utharoshta cha charchika.
Let Trinethra (She who has three eyes) protect the space between eye brows, Yamaganda (death to God of death) protect my nose, Sankhini (She who has a conch) the space between two eyes, Dwara Vasini (She who lives deep inside) my ears, Kalika (the black goddess) my cheeks, Sankari (Wife of Lord Parameshwara) the ear lobes, Sugandha (She who smells nice) the nose bridge and Charchiga (she who is above description) outside my mouth.
22. Adhare Cha amrutha kala, jihwayam thu saraswathi,
Dandhan rakshathu Kaumari, kanda madhye thu Chandika.
Let my lips be protected by Chandra Kala, (she who wears the
crescent moon) Sarawathi (Goddess of learning) my tongue, Kaumari (She who is
23. Gandikam chithraganda, cha mahamaya cha thaluke,
Kamakshim Chibukam raksseth, vacham me sarva mangala.
Let my throat be protected by Chitra Ganda(She who is
picturesque), Mahamaya(great enchantress) protect the small tongue,
Kamakshi(She who has attractive eyes) protect
24. Greevayam Badhrakali cha prushtavamse danurdhari,
Neelagreeva bahikante nalikam nalakoobhari.
25. Gadga dharinyobhou skandow bahu me vajra dharini,
Hasthayor dhandini rakshed ambika cha anguleeshu cha.
Let Badrakali (the black goddess who protects) protect my neck, Neelagreeva (the goddess who is blue) protect the back portion of my neck, Nalakoobari protect the neck joint, Gadgadharini (She who holds the sword) protect my shoulders, Vajradharini (She who holds Vajrayudha) protect my arms, dhandini (She who punishes) protect my hands and Ambika (she who is the mother of the world) protect my fingers.
26. Nakham sooleswari raksheth kukshow rakshet naleswari,
Sthanou rakshet mahadevi mana soka nasini.
Let Sooleswari (she who holds the spear) protect my nails, Naleswari protect my abdomen, Mahadevi (The great goddess) protect my breasts and let Soka nasini (She who destroys sorrows) protect my mind.
27. Hrudayam lalitha devi hydhare shoola dharini,
Nabhim cha kamini raksheth, guhyam guhyeswari thadha,
Let Lalitha (The goddess who is easy to attain) protect my heart, let Sooladharini (She who holds the trident) protect my stomach, Kamini (She who is lovable) protect my belly and let Guhyeswari (She who is secret) protect my reproductive organs.
28. Bhoothanatha cha medram cha gudham mahisha vahini,
Katyam bhagagavathi rakshed januni vindhya vasini.
Let my penis be protected by Bhoothanada (She who is the
ruler of all beings), my behind protected by Mahisha vahini, (She who rides on
buffalo) my thighs by Bhagawathi (She who is the goddess) and knees be
protected by Vindhyavasini. (She who lives on
29. Jange mahabala proktha janumadhye vinayaki,
Gulphayor narasimhi cha padha prushte amithoujasi.
30. Padamanguli sreedhari cha padadasthalavasini,
Nakhan damshtra karali cha kesamscaivordhwa kesini.
Let my knee cap be protected by Mahabala (she who is very strong) who has been mentioned in the Vedas, the centre of the knee be protected by Vinayaki, (She who helps us carry out things without obstruction, the forelegs be protected by Narasimhi)(The female power of Lord Narasimha), the top of the feet be protected by Amithoujasi, the fingers of the feet be protected by Sreedhari (She who holds Maha lakshmi), the bottom of the feet by Thalavasini, Nails of the feet by Karali (She who is black with anger)and hair all over the body by Oordhwakesi. (Goddess having long hair)
31. Roma koopani Kaubheri twacham Vageeswari Thadha,
Raktha majjavasa mamsanya asthi medhamsi parvathi.
Let the hair pores all over the body be protected by Kaubheri (The female power of the of Kubhera), skin be protected by Vagheeswari, (The goddess of words) and let Parvathy (The daughter of the Mountain) protect my blood, flesh, juices bones and fat.
32. Andhrani kala Rathrischa, piuthancha makuteswari,
Padmavathi padma kose kaphe choodamani sthadha.
Let my intestines be protected by Kala Rathri, (Goddess of Dark night) the bile be protected by Magudeswari, (Goddess who wears a crown, heart be protected by Padmavathi)(Goddess who sits on lotus) and let Choodamani (Goddess who is a great gem) protect my phlegm
33. Jwalamukhi nakha jwalam abhedya sarva sandhishu,
Shukram brahmani me rakshed chayam chathreswari Thadha.
Let the shine of my nails be protected by Jwalamukhi (She
who has a face of
34. Ahankaram Mano budhim rakjsha me dharma charini,
Pranapanou thadha vyana samana dhanameva cha,
35. Yasa keerthim cha Lakshmin cha Sadha rakshathu Chakrini,
Gothram Indrani me raksheth pasunme raksha Chandika.
Hey Dharmacharini(she walks on the
36. Puthran Rakshed Mahalakshmi, Bharyam Rakshadu Bhairavi,
Margam Kshemakari rakshed dwijaya sarvatha sthitha.
Let Maha Lakshmi protect my sons, Let Bhairavi (Another name
for Parvathy) protect my wife and let
37. Raksha heenanthu yath sthanam varjitham kavachena thu,
Thad sarvam raksha me devi jayanthi papa nasini.
Whichever part does not have protectio, let all those be protected by you goddess who is the greatest and who destroys sins.
38. Padamekam na Gachethu yadi chedh cha Shubatmana,
Kavachenavyatho nithyam yathra yathra hi gachathi.
39. Thathra thathratha labascha vijaya saarva kamika,
Yam yam chinthayathe kamam tham tham prapnothi nischitham.
The one, who wishes
40. Paramaiswaryamathulam prapsyathe bhoothale pumaan,
Nirbhayo jayathe marthya samgrameswaparajitha.
The man will get unmatched wealth and all human beings that
41. Trilokye thu bhaveth poojya kavachenavutha puman,
Idanthu devya kavacham devanam abhi durlabham.
42. Ya padeth prayatho nithyam trisandhyam sradhayan witha,
Daivikale bavethasya trilokye cha aparajitha.
43. Jived varsha satham sagramapamruthyu vivarjitha,
Nasyanthi vyadhaya sarve lutha visphotakadhaya.
44. Sthavaram jangamam chapi kruthrimam chapi yadvisham,
Abhicharani sarvani manthra yanthrani bhoothale,
45. Bhoochara khecharas chaiva jalajaschoupadashika,
Sahaja kulaja mala dakini sakini sthadha,
46. Antharikshachara ghora dakinyancha maha bala,
Gruha bhootha pisachascha yaksha gandarwa rakshasa.
47. Brahma rakshasa vethala Koosmanda bhairavadhaya,
Nasyanthi darsanathasya kavache hrudhi samsthithe.
He who daily reads this Armour of the Goddess, which is even
difficult for devas to obtain, in dawn, noon and dusk with devotion would be
able to realise the goddess in person. He would live for one hundred years
without getting defeated in all he three worlds with no untimely death in his
family. This would destroy all the poxes. All the effects artificial poisons
with temporary and permanent effects would
48. Manonathir bhavedragna thejovrudhi karam param,
Yasahasa vardhathe sopi keerthi manditha bhoothale.
The king would honour him and for he will have the glitter of divine power and his fame will increase in this materialistic world.
49. Japeth sapthasathim chandim kruthwa thu kavacham pura,
Yavad bhoomandalam dathe sasaila vana kananam.
50. Thavathistathi medhinyam santhathi puthra pouthriki,
Dehanthe paramam sthanam yath surair abhi durlabham.
Prapnothi purusho nithyam mahamaya prasadatha.
After reciting this Armour of the Goddess if one recites The “Devi Mahatmya (also called Chandi or Durga Sapthasathi) he would live in this world (Surrounded by forests and mountains) with sons and grand sons and in the end attain that salvation which even gods cannot get.
Devi Kavacham Samaptham